Friday, July 22, 2011

My Alabaster Box

"A woman is not born a woman. Nor does she become one when when she marriesa man, bears a child and does their dirty linen, not even when she joins a women's liberation movement. A woman becomes a woman when she becomes what God wants her to be."

Have you ever heard the story of the alabaster box? Obviously, this is a very well-known story in the Bible, but this book gave me a whole new perspective on my alabaster box. Anyway, the story goes like this ... There was a woman who came to Jesus in his last week before he was crucified, and despite her reputation as a terrible sinner (which, btw ... who isn't?), she poured the expensive perfume from her box onto Jesus' head anointing him. Let me give you a little background on the alabaster box a.k.a. jar which had a very special meaning. Each woman had one of these boxes or jars, and their parents bought a perfume that symbolized their family's wealth. When a man comes to marry the woman, she is to break this alabaster box at his feet. This woman found Jesus worthy of such a sacrifice and honor that she gave such a priceless gift to him.

Now an excerpt from "Lady in Waiting" which really hits home with me ...
"What is in your alabaster box? Is your box full of fantasies that began as a little girl while you listened to and watched fairy tales about an enchanting couple living happily ever after? Have you been holding on tightly to your alabaster box of dreams, frantically searching for a man worthy of breaking your box? Take your alabaster box to Jesus and break it in His presence, for He is worthy of such honor. Having responded to your Heavenly Bridegroom in such a manner, you can wait with confident assurance that, if it be God's will, He will provide you with an earthly bridegroom. ... Take your alabaster box, with your body, soul, and dreams, and entrust them to Jesus. When He is your Lord, you can joyfully walk in the path of life that He has for you."

I cannot even begin to put into words how true this is for me. I have been fantasizing and dreaming of getting married since I was a little girl. Not only did I watch every possible fairy tale as a child, but it only got worse as I got older. I read every romance book and watched every romance movie I could get my hands on, and I have been clenching onto my alabaster box for dear life like it was either find a husband or DIE. Oh how dramatic I can be. haha! This was such a wake-up call to me. I'm done with this chasing after fantasies and dreams stuff. It is time to truly break my alabaster box at the feet of Jesus. He is the only one worthy of my heart, and I know He is the only one who can make my dreams come true.

I am truly tasting freedom from this burden I have carried for so long, and I feel my relationship with God deepening more each day. I am still struggling with this, and when I do revert back to my old habits, I just remind myself that I didn't get this way overnight and won't radically change overnight either. I am so deeply in love with Christ, and I want to become so lost in His love that I never want for any other kind. This is the beginning of a journey for me, and no matter where it leads me, I know God will help me get there in His timing.

Learning to Love,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment