Friday, March 7, 2014

What is {Lent} Anyway?

Lent never really made sense to this Baptist-raised Mississippi Girl. I had friends who did it, & every now & then I might attempt to give something up which only lasted for a few days really. I knew it had deeply spiritual meaning, but the problem was that I couldn't really see that lived out in the people who were partaking in it. Rarely had I ever seen anyone bear incredible fruit from their sacrifice of dr. pepper or chocolate {which can be done if done in the right way}. It was more like a parade of religious self-righteousness than humble worshipers.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7d/6d/86/7d6d86407c8863520bc42e85bb5080b4.jpg
via
Participating in #SheReadsTruth devotionals each morning has given me a brand new view of Lent. One that I know will continue with me the rest of my life. This Lent season I will sacrifice something in the privacy of my heart, mind, & soul to help me grow in a more intimate way with the Lord Jesus while also reflecting on the beautiful season of Easter approaching. Oh to dwell in the presence of God & marvel over all He has done. 
Psalm 130 {HCSB}
Out of the depths I call to You, Yahweh!
Lord, listen to my voice; let Your ears be attentive to my cry for help.
Yahweh, if You considered sins, Lord. who could stand?
But with You there is forgiveness, so that You may be revered.
I wait for Yahweh; I wait and put my hope in His word.
I wait for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning --
more than watchmen for the morning. Israel, put your hope in the Lord.
For there is faithful love with the Lord, and with Him is redemption in abundance.
And He will redeem Israel from all its sins.
The promise I hear ringing in these words is "Redemption is coming." As we prepare our hearts for Easter & the celebration of victory over sin, I stand in awe of a God who knew long before it was to happen that He would send His only Son to redeem the world. 

Promise fulfilled. Redemption is here.


#SheSharesTruth
Check out some other awesome reflections on Psalm 130 here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart. You are very gifted and anointed as a writer. Your blog is so encouraging and inspirational. I'm glad I found your blog through SRT. I've been looking for a faith based blog to read!! :)

    Ashley
    www.laughingwithashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete