Wednesday, December 9, 2015

What If Christmas Isn't About Us At All?


What if Christmas is about more?

More than presents. More than caroling. More than 24/7 Christmas radio stations. More than traditions. More than Christmas candy. More than Christmas parties.

& more than friends. More than family. More than those candlelight Christmas Eve services.

What if Christmas isn't about us at all?

I can't lie to y'all. Holidays are hard as a single who just so happens to be the youngest in the family with never ending reminders of just how single I am. Oh but I know, marriage and in-laws can be hard too. That's just it. Life is hard. Holidays are hard. For an abundant number of reasons.

But that's when I remember. That's when God stops me in my tracks.

My singleness doesn't change the meaning of Christmas. Neither does your dysfunctional family/frustrating in-laws/struggling marriage/loneliness.

Christmas is about celebrating in the heart. Circumstances outside of me will always try to steal my joy. They will always tempt me to lose sight of the gift. They will always leave me wanting for more. Even the best of things don't measure up to the one thing.

Jesus.

The sweetest name I know. The baby swaddled in a manger bed. The boy who stayed behind his parents to talk his Father's business at the temple. The young man waiting for the time God had ordained for his ministry to begin. The man who shed tears of blood in the garden. The man who willingly and sacrificially allowed himself to be hung upon a tree because of love. Because of me. Because of you. Because He trusted God's will was best. And His story would bring about the salvation of the world. The savior of the world. My savior. My King. My Prince of Peace. My Soulmate.

My singleness pales in light of those things. My hurt. My pain. My struggle. It all ceases in the presence and knowledge of God.

Holidays are hard. But God is good. Loneliness is real. But God wants us to sit at His feet and worship. Disappointments are overwhelming. But God offers rest in His ultimate plan.

It's a balancing act. One I stink at 99.9% of the time. But it's a balancing act I will spend the rest of my life trying to find. The world isn't getting any better. Struggles aren't going away. But neither is God. Neither is His love, holiness, righteousness, goodness, faithfulness, & kindness.

So I fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith. With my eyes and heart set on Jesus, I can start this Christmas season knowing that single or not, I have a reason to celebrate. I have a reason to rejoice. I have a reason to live. I have a reason to sing. I have a reason to be joyful.

Because Christmas is all about Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment