Thursday, August 4, 2011

Truth

What is truth? Jesus says, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." Don't you just love the truth? We don't always like to hear the truth, but ultimately, the truth sets us free. When we were little, our parents drilled in our minds to tell the truth, and no matter how much the truth might hurt to tell it or even to hear it, it breathes life into our hearts and minds. I said I wanted to be truthful about the good and the bad, so that's what I'm going to do...

This is the truth about me. Being alone scares me to death. Just thinking about spending the rest of my life with no one to share it with makes me want to cry. I fear what people will think of me if I never get married. I feel unworthy of love and inadequate. Most days I feel like something is wrong with me ... that I'm just not good enough. If I let go of my dreams of marriage and children, I'm scared I can't trust God to fulfill my heart's every desire(don't worry ... He already knows these things whether I type it out or not, so don't think this is new to Him). I'm terrified that I will have to live the single life in America with people staring at me wondering where I went wrong and pitying me for what I don't have. I fear a life spent wondering "what if" and "how come." I don't want to be the "chosen" single one who has to sit back and watch every last one of her friends find "Mr. Right." Well, that's the truth about what runs through my mind on a regular basis, but don't commit me to an insane asylum just yet ... Keep reading!

This is the truth about God. Truth. God loves me. Truth. God has a plan for me. Truth. God is the only one who can ever give me true happinesss and contentment. Truth. God is my Prince Charming(a.k.a. Prince of Peace). Truth. God will take my burdens and give me rest. Truth. God is all I ever need. Truth. God will guard my heart and mind. Truth. God will never leave me nor forsake me. Truth. God is my refuge and shelter. Truth. God will uphold me. Truth. God hears my every prayer and answers each one as well. Truth. God is a sure and steadfast anchor of my soul. Truth. God is able to do immeasurably more than all I ask or imagine. Truth. God makes all things new. Truth. God is the Author and Perfector of my faith. Truth. God's unfailing love never ends. Truth. God is TRUTH.

Now the struggle I face is replacing my truth with God's truth. Obviously His truth is by far the better option, but it has taken me a long time to build the truth that has come to define my inner thoughts. It's not worth it anymore to dwell on my truth, because God's truth will set me free. This is what I long for the most ... that the truth of God will infiltrate every single corner of my heart and mind.

This is what I will repeat in my mind over and over again ... "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the PEACE OF GOD, which transcends all understanding, will GUARD your HEARTS and your MINDS in CHRIST JESUS. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things." Philippians 4:4-8

Learning to love,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment